AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 22, 2014 01:49PM
Hi all. I'd like to convert my GLM outputs from afni_proc.py into NIFTI files and transform them to template space in another program. When I use 3dAFNItoNIFTI to do the conversion, I get a NIFTI file that AFNI reads perfectly well, but when I do the transformation (in ANTs, if you care), I only get one volume. Let's name the three datasets as follows, just for speed:

afni_proc.py output: GLM+orig
NIFTI conversion: GLM.nii
ANTs normalization: GLMnorm.nii

The reason would appear to be (after a look at the NIFTI specification, [nifti.nimh.nih.gov]) that 3dAFNItoNIFTI converts GLM outputs into vector-valued datasets, rather than 4D datasets. So if I run fslinfo on GLM.nii -- the direct, unaltered output of 3dAFNItoNIFTI -- it tells me that the dataset has one volume. And if I run

nifti_tool -disp_hdr -field dim -infiles GLM.nii

I get:

header file 'GLM.nii', num_fields = 1
  name                offset  nvals  values
  ------------------- ------  -----  ------
  dim                   40      8    5 64 64 36 1 19 1 1

... or, five-dimensional data, 64x64x36, one volume, with each spatial point having a 19-dimensional vector of values.

Anyway, this sounds like an ANTs problem -- i.e., it doesn't treat vector-valued data correctly -- and maybe it is. :) Nonetheless, I have two questions:

(a) Might it be possible to alter 3dAFNItoNIFTI so there's the option to output time series data rather than vector-valued data for GLM outputs?

(b) Since I don't want to wait for a feature update to get this done, is the preferred solution just to call 3dAFNItoNIFTI on each sub-BRIK of GLM+orig, then stitch the outputs together and go from there? Or is there a more evolved solution? (Presumably I'll have to keep track of the identities of the sub-BRIKs myself, but that can be my problem.)

Many thanks, and sorry for the tome,

Matt
Subject Author Posted

3dAFNItoNIFTI and afni_proc.py outputs

Matt Weber August 22, 2014 01:49PM

Re: 3dAFNItoNIFTI and afni_proc.py outputs

Peter Molfese August 22, 2014 03:28PM

Re: 3dAFNItoNIFTI and afni_proc.py outputs

rick reynolds August 22, 2014 04:40PM