AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 20, 2015 08:46PM
Hi Gang,

That is funny that you refer me that paper because it is only after reading that paper that I chose to email you in the first place. That paper seems to deal only with the correct way of selecting a p value and describing the appropriate was to test for conjunctions. For the analyses in that paper they used Familywise correction to deal with false positives.

I use cluster-size correction via AlphaSim to deal with false positives. My question relates to when cluster correction should take place in a conjunction analysis.

The difficulty with your suggestion of carrying out only steps 1-3 (below), without any clustering as step 4, is that you may encounter a scenario in which there is 1 voxel of overlap for tests 1 and 2. Is this 1 voxel meaningful? Is it reportable?

1. Voxel-wise thresholding for statistical test #1, followed by cluster-wise thresholding
2. Voxel-wise thresholding for statistical test #2, followed by cluster-wise thresholding
3. Identifying spatial overlap among above-threshold voxels for tests 1 and 2.

That is why I suggested the alternative, which is to threshold individual voxels for tests 1 and 2 (without doing cluster correction), then look for overlap, and then finally ask where there are clusters of overlapping voxels that meet the minimum size requirements dictated by AlphaSim (see below).

1. Voxel-wise thresholding for statistical test #1
2. Voxel-wise thresholding for statistical test #2
3. Identifying spatial overlap among above-threshold voxels for tests 1 and 2.
4. Cluster-wise thresholding on the spatial overlap map

Given that I need to use a minimum cluster size at some point in the conjunction analysis to correct for false positives, does it make more sense to carry it out only for step 4 (as described immediately above)?

Christine
Subject Author Posted

Conjunction analysis and cluster-extent thresholding

gpagnon August 26, 2014 07:10AM

Re: Conjunction analysis and cluster-extent thresholding

gang August 28, 2014 04:20PM

gpagnon September 01, 2014 09:23AM

gang September 02, 2014 11:56AM

gpagnon September 06, 2014 03:31AM