AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 27, 2014 01:06PM
Hi Gurus,

I discovered while trying to visualize the phase of the FFT of our EPI data that setting a 3D+time RGB dataset as an overlay in the AFNI viewer causes memory corruption. The number of errors reported (which may or may not correlate with the actual amount of memory affected) each time the graph window is opened or closed seems to increase linearly with the total number of RGB subbricks that have been overlaid since the viewer was opened. This is a problem because I would like to be able to examine each subject's data in turn, looking at the task frequency and its harmonics in each case.

I think this is close to a minimal example:
$ 3dThreetoRGB -scale 255 -prefix temp \
> ~/abin/MNI_avg152T1+tlrc ~/abin/MNI_avg152T2+tlrc ~/abin/MNI_EPI+tlrc
++ output dataset: ./temp+tlrc.BRIK
$ 3dTcat -prefix temp2 temp+tlrc temp+tlrc
++ 3dTcat: AFNI version=AFNI_2011_12_21_1014 (Jul  3 2014) [64-bit]
*+ WARNING: Set TR of output dataset to 1.0 s
$ afni temp2+tlrc.HEAD

Thanks go to JA Frost for caloric input

Initializing: X11.. Widgets...... Input files:
 session #  1  = fromCLI ==> 1 dataset 
 dataset count = 1
 Time series   = 0 files read
  NLfit & NLerr= Optimizer (AFNI_NLFIM_METHOD) is SIMPLEX
  NLfit & NLerr= Found 27 models
 Plugins       = 52 libraries read
 write compress= GZIP
++ AFNI is detached from terminal.
$ 
++ NOTE: This version of AFNI was built Jul  3 2014 ++
++ NOTE: 'Define Markers' is hidden: right-click 'DataDir' to see it
[click 'OverLay']
[click 'Set']
[click 'Graph']
*** MCW_malloc post-corruption!  serial=109748 size=2707887 source=thd_loaddblk.c line#871
 <- THD_alloc_datablock <- THD_load_datablock <- AFNI_range_setter <- AFNI_view_xyz_CB <- AFNI_startup_layout_CB
 [[ Called from source=afni.c line#6641 ]]
[close graph]
*** MCW_malloc post-corruption!  serial=109748 size=2707887 source=thd_loaddblk.c line#871
 <- THD_alloc_datablock <- THD_load_datablock <- AFNI_range_setter <- AFNI_view_xyz_CB <- AFNI_startup_layout_CB
 [[ Called from source=afni.c line#4832 ]]

This is the stack trace that I get if the RGB dataset is the default overlay; if I have to change to it from another dataset, I get this stack trace instead:
*** MCW_malloc post-corruption!  serial=114417 size=2707887 source=thd_loaddblk.c line#871
 <- THD_alloc_datablock <- THD_load_datablock <- AFNI_set_viewpoint <- AFNI_initialize_view <- AFNI_finalize_dataset_CB
 [[ Called from source=afni.c line#6641 ]]
*** MCW_malloc post-corruption!  serial=114417 size=2707887 source=thd_loaddblk.c line#871
 <- THD_alloc_datablock <- THD_load_datablock <- AFNI_set_viewpoint <- AFNI_initialize_view <- AFNI_finalize_dataset_CB
 [[ Called from source=afni.c line#4832 ]]

If you choose to chase this one, happy hunting!

Isaac
Subject Author Posted

MCW_malloc post-corruption in AFNI viewer with RGB 3D+time overlay

Isaac Schwabacher August 27, 2014 01:06PM

Re: MCW_malloc post-corruption in AFNI viewer with RGB 3D+time overlay

Emperor Zhark August 28, 2014 11:12AM

Isaac Schwabacher August 28, 2014 03:30PM

Isaac Schwabacher August 28, 2014 03:35PM

Emperor Zhark August 28, 2014 08:59PM