AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 24, 2014 10:07AM
Hi Josh,

> I would like to have enough power for my 3dANOVA to pick up on significant differences across three conditions.

Just to clarify: with 3 conditions, did you really use 3dANOVA or 3dANOVA2 -type 3?

> 1) Is there a way to easily run an FDR correction at a specified cluster level rather than the voxel level?

What do you mean specifically by "cluster level"? Performing FDR with a mask?

> It seems to me that if I were able to do a FDR correction for clusters >= 9 voxels

Unless you have a lot of voxels with p-value below 0.05 in the brain, I doubt that a cluster of 9 voxels with FDR correction would make it. However, even if you can't manage to make the clusters survive the stringent correction, it does not necessarily mean that you can't report the results.

> I am currently considering running my 3dANOVA with an OR_MASK comprised of my three conditions
> (vs. rest) at an alphasim corrected threshold of alpha <.05 (this would reduce my voxels from 34549
> above to 6752 voxels more active in any or all conditions versus rest). This is intuitively appealing to me,
> however I know of no precedence for doing this, does anything seem off about using an approach such as this?

The rigorous approach would be presenting the corrected main effect F-stat of the three conditions. The OR_MASK methodology is invalid as pointed out in the following paper:

TE Nichols,MBrett, J Andersson, TWager and J-B Poline. Valid conjunction inference with the minimum statistic. NeuroImage, 25:653–660, 2005.

Gang
Subject Author Posted

FDR and Clustering to correct for multiple testing

jgray7700 October 20, 2014 04:31PM

Re: FDR and Clustering to correct for multiple testing

gang October 24, 2014 10:07AM