AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 20, 2015 01:56PM
Hey Folks!

I was thinking about using 3dTcorrMap to look at global connectivity during 2 different task conditions, which occur during alternating ~2min blocks. As I understand it, 3dTcorrMap can give you the global connectivity for each voxel, given a timeseries.

My question is:
What's the best way to generate the 2 timeseries when the conditions are alternating?

I can imagine 4 basic approaches:
1) Chop the timeseries up into blocks, catonate the blocks, and run 3dTcorrMap on that timeseries.
2) Chop the timeseries up into blocks, run 3dTcorrMap on each block, and average the resulting maps.
3) Run 3dDeconvolve, outputting the cbucket dataset, and use 3dsynthesize to create a timeseries corresponding to just the individual condition regressors.
4) Run 3dDeconvolve, outputting the cbucket dataset, and use 3dsynthesize to create a timeseries corresponding everything but the individual condition regressors, and subtract this from the raw timeseries.

My gut feeling is that 4 is the best approach for the following reasons:
1 will introduce spurious correlations because of the catonation of the blocks.
2 will take a really long time.
3 doesn't take into consideration noise not accounted for by the initial regression model.

Any thoughts?

-nick
Subject Author Posted

Inputs for 3dTcorrMap during task-based fMRI

Nicholas Balderston January 20, 2015 01:56PM

Re: Inputs for 3dTcorrMap during task-based fMRI

gang January 20, 2015 03:03PM

Nicholas Balderston January 20, 2015 05:49PM

gang January 21, 2015 01:24PM