AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 24, 2015 07:29PM
Hi AFNI Experts,

I have a general question that I've always wondered about. At a group level, I believe that average percent signal change extracted from an fMRI analysis would be reasonable if < 1%. Usually, I actually see values on average < 0.5% or even lower.

What about on an individual level? I'm looking at my data after extracting percent signal change values using 3dROIStats, and I'm seeing some values that look quite bizarre (i.e. > 2%) in some clusters. For a couple of subjects this is consistent across many different brain regions, so this could be motion artifact, but this isn't the case for all subjects. Sometimes there are values > 1 % in just one of many regions. Is there an absolute value cutoff that should be used to exclude participants from analyses? Is this appropriate to do post-hoc? There are no indications (i.e. motion criteria we currently use or anything else) that would have suggested these participants should have been excluded from the analyses to begin with.

I'd love to hear thoughts on what is appropriate and if people use cut-off values when they inspect their data.

Thanks!
Anita
Subject Author Posted

Reasonable Percent Signal Change Values

acservenka March 24, 2015 07:29PM

Re: Reasonable Percent Signal Change Values

gang March 25, 2015 12:31PM

Re: Reasonable Percent Signal Change Values

Cesar Caballero Gaudes March 25, 2015 05:17PM