AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 03, 2015 12:50PM
Hi Rick,

Thank you for your informative response.

To clarify, I only plan to make comparisons within each class (within anticipation, comparing a fear anticipation to a no fear anticipation; within stimulation, pain stimulation vs. no pain stimulation; the four conditions indicated by separate regressors). I have also decided to add cue to anticipation, so now there are only two classes of stimuli - anticipation (6s, 9s, 12s, or 15s) and stimulation (6s). I've expanded the example below to make this more clear.

So I would include the following in my script, with each of my anticipation times files as single column (global times) with a series of rows with "onset":"duration" and each of my stimulation times file as a single column (global times) a series of rows with just "onset" since duration is constant and set by the BLOCK option?

-regress_stim_times ant_fear_times.txt ant_nofear_times.txt \
stim_pain_times.txt stim_nopain_times.txt \
-regress_stim_labels ant_fear ant_nofear stim_pain stim_nopain \
-regress_stim_types AM1 AM1 times times \
-regresss_basis_many dmBLOCK dmBLOCK 'BLOCK(6)' 'BLOCK(6)' \

Similar question for a different task, in which I have three classes of stimuli, with no duration modulation [block of Faces (all 6.5s), Scenarios (all 9s), and Questions (all 3.5s)] - would the lines below be appropriate, with each regressor file just being a single column (global times) with rows of onset times for each stimulus?

-regress_stim_times face.txt scenario.txt question.txt \
-regress_stim_labels face scenario question \
-regress_stim_types times \
-regresss_basis 'BLOCK(6.5)' 'BLOCK(9)' 'BLOCK(3.5)' \

This is a simplified example since there are multiple conditions within each stimulus class, but I would only be making comparisons within each stimulus class, so the blocks of different lengths are ok?

One last question - I know this is covered in the help for 3dDeconvolve but I don't quite understand it - what is the consequence of excluding the 1 from BLOCK or dmBLOCK [e.g., using BLOCK(6) instead of BLOCK(6,1), or just dmBLOCK instead of dmBLOCK(1)]?

Thank you again for your time and assistance!

Sincerely,
Kristin
Subject Author Posted

correct handling of variable event durations in afni_proc.py

KristinBH June 02, 2015 10:36AM

Re: correct handling of variable event durations in afni_proc.py

rick reynolds June 03, 2015 10:40AM

KristinBH June 03, 2015 12:50PM

KristinBH June 07, 2015 04:22PM