AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 15, 2015 06:58PM
Hello AFNIS,

I've been working on an analysis for a group and am having a lot of trouble replicating some published results. Briefly, we have two behavioural measures (A, B) that might amplitude modulate some blocks and we want to see if this is true.

I originally did my analysis with AM2 (looked something like this):

3dDeconvolve \\
    -input {input_data} \\
    -mask {datadir}/ea/{sub}_anat_EPI_mask_MNI.nii.gz \\
    -ortvec {datadir}/ea/{sub}_motion.1D motion_paramaters \\
    -polort 4 \\
    -num_stimts 1 \\
    -stim_times_AM2 1 {datadir}/ea/{sub}_block-times_ea.1D \'dmBLOCK\' \\
    -stim_label 1 empathic_accuracy \\\
    -bucket {datadir}/ea/{sub}_glm_1stlevel.nii.gz \\

And a line from the timing file looks like this:

13.14*0.44,4.23529411765:170.00 234.03*0.67,6.57534246575:146.00 430.35*0.02,6.48648648649:111.00

So in this sample case I have 3 blocks with varying duration, and two married paramaters.

The outputs from AM2 look reasonable to me. However it seems like all of the variance in the data gets eaten up by the not modulated predictor. We don't see much effect in either of the parametically modulated beta weights. The papers we are trying to replicate, I believe, used SPM, and make no mention of explicitly modeling the non-modulated response. My suspicion is that at least some of the effect found in this previous work is actually non-modulated in nature.

To test this, I thought I would use AM1. I was under the impression that this would run the exact same analysis, without including a non-modulated predictor. However when I run this (exact same command, simply using AM1 instead of AM2), I only get 1 set of beta weights! I'm not sure what is going on.

To run this analysis, do I need to run two seperate AM1 stim-times? Or am I missing something more fundamental?

Also, I know what I'm doing is bad -- I just want to see whether this is what stands between us and reproducing the old results... Thanks so much for your help!

Best,
Joseph
Subject Author Posted

AM1 with 2 married paramaters not producing two sets of beta weights

jdviviano July 15, 2015 06:58PM

Re: AM1 with 2 married paramaters not producing two sets of beta weights

rick reynolds July 15, 2015 09:21PM

Re: AM1 with 2 married paramaters not producing two sets of beta weights

jdviviano July 16, 2015 11:43AM