AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 29, 2015 08:36AM
Dear AFNI Community,

Hello!! I am a newbie trying ultimately to get a cortical reconstruction of a minipig brain (with implanted microelectrode array).
Tried first in FreeSurfer but obviously the software would give an error as pig brains won't align with Talairach coordinates.

Anyway, present problem/ question:
I am following the pipeline outlined in a poster* to strip the pig skull and do segmentation before importing into FreeSurfer, but am stuck right now on the "3dWarp" step. Apparently I cannot strip the skull because the brain is "21.96 degrees from plumb" and therefore needs some "deoblique" function run on it to get it properly aligned. However, I do not really understand the syntax of the input commands (or which option commands are necessary for my particular dataset.... this is one that has been motion-corrected via 3dVolreg).

Then it seems also possibly that "3dAllineate" might be better...
The script I ran (and resulting AFNI output) is below.
Your advice or guidance will be massively appreciated!!!!!

Kind regards,
Celia

[imac-de-claire-mazzocco:Celia/150304minipig450254/T1] celiagellman% 3dSkullStrip -input r01_MC+orig.HEAD -prefix VOL_PREFIX
*+ WARNING: If you are performing spatial transformations on an oblique dset,
such as ./r01_MC+orig.BRIK,
or viewing/combining it with volumes of differing obliquity,
you should consider running:
3dWarp -deoblique
on this and other oblique datasets in the same session.
See 3dWarp -help for details.
++ Oblique dataset:./r01_MC+orig.BRIK is 21.963942 degrees from plumb.
The intensity in the output dataset is a modified version
of the intensity in the input volume.
To obtain a masked version of the input with identical values inside
the brain, you can either use 3dSkullStrip's -orig_vol option
or run the following command:
3dcalc -a r01_MC+orig.HEAD -b ./VOL_PREFIX+orig -expr 'a*step(b)' \
-prefix ./VOL_PREFIX_orig_vol
to generate a new masked version of the input.

* poster, found online, entitled "A Step-by-Step Guide to Cortical Surface Modeling of
the Nonhuman Primate Brain Using FreeSurfer" by Peggy Christidis
and Robert Cox
Subject Author Posted

using 3dWarp?

CeliaG July 29, 2015 08:36AM

Re: using 3dWarp?

CeliaG July 29, 2015 09:17AM

rick reynolds July 29, 2015 09:50AM

CeliaG July 30, 2015 08:00AM