AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 31, 2015 06:44PM
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some help with the parameters for slow_surf_clustsim.py?

I'm doing a somewhat basic surface area analysis using values extracted from Freesurfer. After extracting surface area values for each subject/vertex morphed to fsaverage, I get a file I called lh.area.00.mgh. Then, I smooth it using mri_surf2surf and FWHM=10, which results in lh.area.10.mgh. I then extract the table to run my analysis in R/Python. I currently export the results to a 1D file and plot them in SUMA, and would like to set cluster-level correction there.

1) Does FWHM map 1:1 to blur? In other words, can I just use:

slow_surf_clustsim.py -save_script surf.sim \
-on_surface yes \
-uvar blur 10 \
-uvar spec_file ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/fsaverage/SUMA/fsaverage_lh.spec \
-uvar surf_vol ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/fsaverage/SUMA/T1.nii

2) I'm a bit confused about when to use vol_mask. Is it the case that for thickness or volume analysis it would be needed, but if it's surface area it's not (and only -on_surface yes is used)?

3) Does the hemisphere I used in .spec matter? I normally visualize the results using fsaverage_both.spec, but that broke slow_surf_clustsim because it found multiple matches for smoothwm.

4) Now, say I use a completely different surface. For example, an amygdala surface extracted using MAGeT (https://github.com/CobraLab/MAGeTbrain). I'd like to do the exact same cluster correction there. Is it as simple as providing my anatomical template, spec, and -uvar vol_mask to mark only the amygdala?

Thanks in advance,

Gustavo
Subject Author Posted

questions about slow_surf_clustsim.py

gsudre July 31, 2015 06:44PM

Re: questions about slow_surf_clustsim.py

rick reynolds August 04, 2015 12:48PM