AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 26, 2015 08:42PM
Hi,

This is not a question on AFNI but I thought that this was a good place to get some insight into.

I came across this question after looking at the source code for simuating artificial datasets from software such as neuRosim (in R). Here, datasets are simulated from a fMRI time series using a given design matrix and SNR. My question has to do with this SNR calculation. From what i see of the neuRosim code, the software calculates SNR by using the mean of the time series at a voxel and then dividing that by the standard deviation (not of the time series at the voxel) but by the marginal standard deviation of the error in the autoregressive time series. But in so doing, it ignores the fact that there is correlation in the time series and thus, the SNR is actually inflated. So, my question is on how the SNR in fMRI time series data is calculated in general.

I guess my point is that we need to have an accurate model for simulating fMRI simulation data which faithfully represents the difficulty (both CNR and SNR) of the fMRI problem in order to calibrate different methods and I think that accounting for the correlation in the calculation of the SNR for these simulated scenarios provides a more realistic assessment of fMRI data processing scenarios.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Ranjan
Subject Author Posted

General question: how is SNR in an fMRI dataset calculated?

maitra September 26, 2015 08:42PM

Re: General question: how is SNR in an fMRI dataset calculated?

gang September 28, 2015 03:18PM