AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 22, 2016 08:31AM
Hi everyone,
I have a design with 2 within-subject factors: Tasks and TypeOfPair. Initially, I was using 3DANOVA3 to analyze the data, with the following command lines (a is TypeOfPair, b is Task, c is subject):

3dANOVA3 -type 4 -alevels 8 -blevels 3 -clevels 17 \
-mask $output_dir/stimuli/mask_anat.KQu+tlrc \3dANOVA3 -type 4 -alevels 8 -blevels 3 -clevels 17 \
-mask $output_dir/stimuli/mask_anat.KQu+tlrc \
-dset 1 1 1 $output_dir/stimuli/Subject1_SM_SM_Noise_Averaged+tlrc \
-dset 1 1 2 $output_dir/stimuli/Subject2_SM_SM_Noise_Averaged+tlrc \

Now I want to include the reaction times as a covariate in a mixed-effect model, using 3DLME. But, before that, I wanted to check whether 3DLME would give me the same results as 3DANOVA3 if I do not include the covariate. So I ran the following lines:
3dLME -prefix $output_dir/LME_922_1 -jobs 1 \
-model "TypeOfPair*Task" \
-ranEff '~1' \
-SS_type 3 \
-num_glt 2 \
-gltLabel 1 'Action-Material' -gltCode 1 'Task : 1*Action -1*Material' \
-gltLabel 2 'Action+Material-2*Noise' -gltCode 2 'Task : 1*Action +1*Material -2*Noise' \
-mask $input_dir/mask_anat.KQu+tlrc \
-dataTable \
Subj TypeOfPair Task InputFile \
1_SM TP_TP Noise $input_dir/Subject1_TP_TP_Noise_Averaged+tlrc \
1_SM TP_TP Action $input_dir/Subject1_TP_TP_Action_Averaged+tlrc \

I found results that are qualitatively similar (overall, I find the same clusters), but the clusters have different sizes. I am not sure that I am using 3DLME correctly, though:
- which type of SS should I use? I used type 3 based on the examples in the documentation
- Shouldn't I include the subjects as a random factor since type 4 in 3DANOVA3 corresponds to define c as a random factor? The program gets stuck when I try to do this, though.
- What is the difference between the glt and glf?
- Should I worry that the two methods give slightly different results?
Thank you!
Guillaume
Subject Author Posted

3DLME and 3DAnova3

Guillaume August 22, 2016 08:31AM

Re: 3DLME and 3DAnova3

gang August 22, 2016 10:03AM