AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 09, 2017 08:09AM
Hello,
I was looking at the documentation of 3dLME, trying to understand if this is what I need for my own data:
[afni.nimh.nih.gov]
My data also has RT per condition per subject, similar to Example2. Originally, I was thinking of adding RTs as a predictor to the analysis, but then I reckoned it was a bad idea as it correlates with the Condition predictor. I see that in Example2 in the documentation, RT is added as a random effect. What is the meaning of RT being a random effect?
Perhaps I am confused from what I know about mixed models in regular behavioral experiments: usually the random effect is subjects (or any other random grouping criterion), because that's randomly sampled from the population. How is RT a random grouping variable?
In analogy, an R formula would look something like this:
lmer(BOLD ~ Cond*RT + age + (Cond|RT))
And this I don't understand conceptually. I suppose my concept is wrong. I would very much appreciate your help in understanding this.
Thanks,
Galit
Subject Author Posted

RT as a random effect in LME for fMRI data?

Galit January 09, 2017 08:09AM

Re: RT as a random effect in LME for fMRI data?

gang January 09, 2017 10:34AM

Galit January 10, 2017 04:09AM

gang January 10, 2017 10:07AM

Galit January 15, 2017 04:27AM

gang January 17, 2017 09:01AM

Galit January 18, 2017 08:14AM

gang January 18, 2017 04:18PM