AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 15, 2017 04:27AM
Right, I now noticed that you did write about centering, sorry. Thanks, that seems like a simple solution to solve this! I understand that the default in -qVarCenters is centering across everything, so I should centre myself within each level, right?

I am still confused, though, about something: what is the gain in adding RT as a random effect? You wrote that it accounts for "RT variability across subjects *within* each level" - I think I don't understand the "within each level" thing... How does the fact that RT is subdivided by Cond enters into the analysis? Doesn't (RT|Subject) mean that the *average* RT is adjusted per subject?

I will try to summarize my understanding of this, perhaps it will help pinpointing the source of my confusion:

The purpose of adding RT to the analysis is to remove variability which is accounted by differences in general speed between subjects (which is not a difference of interest for this experiment), thus making the data cleaner. This is basically like an ANCOVA, but the use of LMER instead of ANCOVA allows to account for the covariance structure (e.g. slow subjects might have a weaker effect in Cond?).
My understanding of mixed effects is that it allows for a better generalizability of the effect of interest by accounting for the distribution of the effect across subjects. Since the effect of interest is really Cond and not RT, wouldn't it be preferable to have Cond as a random effect rather than RT? I.e.:
BOLD ~ Cond*RT + age + (Cond|Subject)
In that case, in the AFNI command, I should put just
-ranEff "~1+Cond"

Am I correct? Where am I wrong?

Sorry for the length, I hope I was clear in my question,
Thank you so much again, This is really helpful!

Galit
Subject Author Posted

RT as a random effect in LME for fMRI data?

Galit January 09, 2017 08:09AM

Re: RT as a random effect in LME for fMRI data?

gang January 09, 2017 10:34AM

Galit January 10, 2017 04:09AM

gang January 10, 2017 10:07AM

Galit January 15, 2017 04:27AM

gang January 17, 2017 09:01AM

Galit January 18, 2017 08:14AM

gang January 18, 2017 04:18PM