AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 18, 2017 08:14AM
Thank you, Gang!

As you said, I definitely want to control for the variability of RT, and clean out its contribution from the overall variability. Because of collinearity, as you said, I should center within each condition, no matter how I do it. I just wonder about two things (and perhaps I just didn't fully understand your previous answers, so my apologies if so):

1. If the point is removing irrelevant variability from the data and I'm not interested in RT per se, why should I put it as a random effect and not a fixed effect in the first place? It seems more relevant to put Cond as the random effect (adjust it by subjects).

2. I actually have Cond1 (2 levels) and Cond2 (2 levels). So the fact that I have four RTs per subject - one per Cond1*Cond2 combination - is unclear to me... Can RT be both a within- and a between- predictor? If so then this is new to me, I can't think how this is implemented mathematically. After centering, we expect no within-subject effect of RT anyway. So why don't we just give one number which is the average for each subject (across Con1 and Cond2), thus it is just a between-subject covariate?

Thanks,

Galit
Subject Author Posted

RT as a random effect in LME for fMRI data?

Galit January 09, 2017 08:09AM

Re: RT as a random effect in LME for fMRI data?

gang January 09, 2017 10:34AM

Galit January 10, 2017 04:09AM

gang January 10, 2017 10:07AM

Galit January 15, 2017 04:27AM

gang January 17, 2017 09:01AM

Galit January 18, 2017 08:14AM

gang January 18, 2017 04:18PM