AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 08, 2019 03:16AM
Hi!

I guess this is the 100th post regarding this matter but maybe there is now some new info out there.

I really appreciate how thurough you guys have been in really addressing the issues that surfaced post the Eklund paper (he is actually my PhD co-supervisor). And as far as I can tell your approach is to reach a theoretically "true" false-positive cluster rate of 0.05 when all the thresholds have been set.

If I have a task that only makes sense analysing in a factorial manor, usually via 3dMVM, my only choice is to use the acf-method. If I want to be an honest scientist and to be able to say that "these results are multiple comparison corrected according to the AFNI-guidelines" I basically have to follow what is in Bob's magnificent power point presentation. That means that even though the resulting table shows cluster-sizes for p-values as high as 0.05 a true cluster alpha of 0.05 is only reached for p-values lower or equal to 0.002.

In practise, this makes it really hard to get any "publishable" results (also 3dttest++ -clustim and -ETAC does seem to be even more conservative). I have tried to reduce the testing volume by using only the union of all mask_epi_anat masks and then just use the GM portion of this.

If we find activations in "predicted" areas or areas that makes so much sense (since we e.g. stimulate the insula) but the cluster only remains when using the table value for a p of 0.005 instead of 0.002 is that really unpublishable? How would you deal with that?

I'm just looking for some tips or ideas, because we really want to follow your guidelines but using a per voxel p-value of 0.002 is making it difficult to keep any findings.

Again, we are really grateful for all your hard work!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 09:39AM by Robin.
Subject Author Posted

AFNI and the pursuit of significant findings

Robin February 08, 2019 03:16AM

Re: AFNI and the pursuit of significant findings

gang February 08, 2019 12:55PM

Robin February 12, 2019 12:30PM

gang February 13, 2019 03:00PM

Robin February 14, 2019 03:53AM