AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 11, 2019 05:18AM
Dear AFNI experts,

During my experiment, participants watch 36 short movie clips (average duration 32 seconds) over three runs (i.e. 12 clips in each run) and are asked to give ratings after each clip. The order of movie clips is pseudo-randomised across participants and runs.

I am planning to follow the preprocessing as described by Chen et al. (2016): [afni.nimh.nih.gov] and have some questions about it:

If I understand the description of the "-regress_apply_mot_types demean deriv" option correctly, this adds the demeaned motion regressors as well as the derivatives to the regression model. Is it correct that the derivatives model the potential scanner drift over time so that this is accounted for? Further, is it correct that only the motion parameters are demeaned, but not the BOLD time series itself?

After the preprocessing of the three runs, I combine them and then remove all volumes associated with fixation between the clips and ratings participants are asked to give after each clip. Additionally, the volumes are re-ordered so that the resulting time course reflects the same order of movie clip presentation across participants. This then results in a concatenated time series only associated with the display of the clips itself which is later used in the 3dTcorrelate command. I think that for computing the intersubject correlation, I should the option "-polort -1" given that my data is preprocessed and concatenated. Is that correct? But this assumes that the data is detrended within the preprocessing, so presumably with the "-regress_apply_mot_types demean deriv" option?

Given that I concatenate my data, would it be recommendable to demean the time course associated with each clip (using the mean of the volumes associated with each clip) before merging the volumes for all clips together?

Lastly, should I include bandpass filtering to the preprocessing? If so, at what stage would it be best implemented?

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the issues raised above, any help is highly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Stef
Subject Author Posted

Preprocessing for intersubject correlation

s.meliss April 11, 2019 05:18AM

Re: Preprocessing for intersubject correlation

ptaylor April 12, 2019 03:04PM

s.meliss April 23, 2019 09:25AM

s.meliss July 17, 2019 12:30PM