AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 18, 2019 11:16AM
Afni gurus:

I'm trying to identify the n voxels with the highest t values for a particular contrast. I know 3dRank and the -1rank option in 3dmerge only work on integers, but 3dRankizer doesn't appear to have that restriction, so that's what I decided to try. It says it only works on sub-brik #0 so I created a dataset containing only the sub-brik with those t values in it (subj.tvals+orig). I'm using the following command:

3dRankizer -mask brainmask+orig -prefix rankedTs subj.tvals+orig

The program runs and tells me there are ~55000 voxels in brainmask+orig. So I expected to get an output dataset that contains voxel values ranging from 1 to 55000 and then I could just pick off the top n (100, 1000, etc) using 3dcalc. Instead, I get a dataset where the vast majority of the ~55000 voxels have large negative values (-149490, -179121, etc), with only about 250 positive voxels. These 250 positive voxels do actually seem to correspond to the top 250 t-values and have the voxel values I'd expect (55000, 54999, 54998, etc) but I don't understand why that doesn't continue all the way down the ranks.

It's not the case that there are only 250 positive t values in my dataset (at least 75% are positive.) I wondered if perhaps it wasn't able to handle such a large mask/number of voxels so I tried a different mask with only about 1100 voxels in it and got essentially (but not identically) the same result- about 200 voxels with voxel values in the 900-1100 range and about 900 voxels with large (> 100000) negative values.

I'm a bit baffled. Is there something I'm obviously overlooking or doing wrong? Alternately, is there a different approach I could take to identify the highest n voxels in a dataset? (I do need it to be a certain number of voxels and not a certain percentage of voxels.)

Thanks!
Kate Revill
Subject Author Posted

3dRankizer- strange behavior?

Kate Pirog Revill April 18, 2019 11:16AM

Re: 3dRankizer- strange behavior?

Daniel Glen April 18, 2019 11:36AM