AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 21, 2019 01:17PM
Hi, Shankar-

That seems excessively slow to me. I ran @SSwarper on a 1x1x1 mm**3 anatomical the other day using 5 CPUs and it took about an hour, I think.

Something to note-- that version of AFNI is veeery old, and there have been a lot of modifications to @SSwarper since then, as well as important ones to 3dQwarp. In particular, pretty recently Bob made the default 3dQwarp operation both faster and "lighter" memory-wise. I woudl definitely update you binaries. Done via:
@update.afni.binaries -d
... unless you are on a Mac and using the 10.7_local binaries (as evince by running "afni -ver"), in which case you will need to update via:
@update.afni.binaries -d -package macos_10.12_local
because we haven't maintained the Mac 10.7_local binaries for a long time now.

Additionally, it is possible that 48 CPUs might be too many, and leading to thrashing in the parallelization-- the fight threads is costing too much, and slowing things down. What if you tried, say 12-16 CPUs?

Can you also verify that your computer is really using that many? If you run just the followign in your script:
3dQwarp -hview
... it will open up the 3dQwarp help in a GUI text editor, but more importantly it will echo in the terminal the OpenMP thread count that it has, for example as:
++ OpenMP thread count = 1

--pt
Subject Author Posted

@sswarper speed

st June 21, 2019 12:14PM

Re: @sswarper speed

ptaylor June 21, 2019 01:17PM

ptaylor June 21, 2019 01:57PM

st June 21, 2019 03:51PM