AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 20, 2019 02:54PM
Hi there,

I am trying to implement two analyses with the following longitudinal designs:

In case A, we have three measurements per subject (with some missing data) and the explanatory variables:
(1) ISI: time between measurements, W/S
(2) Age: age at baseline, B/S
(3) Cond: control or cond1, B/S

In case B, two measurements per subject and same explanatory variables (1) and (2) but (3) is different:
(3) Cond: control, cond1 or cond2

In both cases A and B, scanner is a random effect. For most, the subject's complete data set comes solely from one of three scanners, but in a few subjects, scanner source differed across time points. (We use Fortin's COMBAT algorithm prior to this analysis to remove most of the scanner-contributed noise, though some appears to remain.)

For case A, I used 3dLME to model the data with the following model specification which seems to run fine:

3dLME -prefix ${seed}.nii
-jobs 32 \
-model "Cond+Age+ISI+Cond:Age+Cond:ISI+Cond:ISI:Age" \
-qVars "Age,ISI" \
-qVarCenters "46.26,7.18" \
-ranEff '~1+Scanner' \
-SS_type 3 \
-num_glt 1 \
-gltLabel 1 'carrier-control' -gltCode 1 'Cond : 1*carrier -1*control' \
-dataTable @${seed}.table.txt

However, in case B with the following, the model hangs and eventually fails with this:

3dLME -prefix ${seed}.all.nii \
-jobs 32 \
-model "Cond+Age+ISI+Cond:Age+Cond:ISI+Cond:ISI:Age" \
-qVars "Age,ISI" \
-qVarCenters "51.73,2.78" \
-ranEff "~1+Scanner" \
-SS_type 3 \
-dataTable @${seed}.table.all.txt

This model will not run (hangs at the "If the program hangs here..." step, unless I remove the Scanner from
-ranEff "~1+Scanner" \
(it will run with: -ranEff "~1" \)

My main question is, why does adding "Scanner" as a random effect in case B cause it to hang and fail? What is it about the differences between A and B that is causing the problem? And does this seem like an appropriate way to model and conceptualize this?

I would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!
Subject Author Posted

Random effects with 3dLME

rwaugh August 20, 2019 02:54PM

Re: Random effects with 3dLME

gang August 20, 2019 06:23PM

Re: Random effects with 3dLME

rwaugh August 21, 2019 03:23PM