AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 19, 2019 11:50AM
Blocks were separated by 20 s.

I attempted 3dsynthesize on one of my subjects. I added the cbucket option my 3dDeconvolve, with conditions modeled using the BLOCK function. I then ran:

3dSynthesize -cbucket ${results}/all_betas+orig \
-matrix ${results}/X.xmat.1D -select 12 -cenfill nbhr -prefix ${results}/PredictableNegative_timeseries.nii.gz

with the 12 in the -select option being the column for the Predictable Negative condition regressor.

Looking through the subbricks of the resulting file, I noticed that while the magnitude of the response was different for each voxel, the shape of the response was the same for all voxels, and seemed to be determined by the shape of the BLOCK function. That is, all the voxels in this time series had activation that ramped up over a a handful of TRs, stayed constant for the rest of the duration of the block, and then tapered back off over a handful of TRs. This made me think that this method won't give me what I want, which is the ability to look at the shape of the actual response during the block (but with noise and activity from other conditions regressed out). My guess is the using the fitts file has a similar issue - that the shape will be largely determined by the shape of the BLOCK function. This makes me think that rerunning 3ddeconvolve with the TENT function is what I want, since this will allow the data to take any shape, rather than having a particular shape imposed upon it.

Does my thinking here make sense, or am I missing something?
Subject Author Posted

Graph activity within blocks

wped September 18, 2019 06:39PM

Re: Graph activity within blocks

gang September 19, 2019 11:25AM

wped September 19, 2019 11:50AM

gang September 19, 2019 12:05PM

wped September 19, 2019 12:14PM