AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 07, 2021 02:35AM
Hi there,

Sorry if this is a very silly question but I am new to fMRI and just wanted to clarify something about event vs. blocked designs:

Some literature suggests that for a fMRI design we are planning, we should rapidly switch between our two stimulation types (vibratory stimuli of different frequencies, 3Hz for one condition, 30Hz for another).

Question 1.
If we present stimulation in ~8 second bursts, switching from 3Hz (8 sec) - 30Hz (8 sec) - 30Hz (8 sec) etc. over a run, would this be considered a blocked design - as we are presenting a block of stimulation each time (8 sec)? Or, would it be considered event related - as we switch back and forth between (fairly short) stimuli types, with no gap in between? I know event related means short events, but I am not 100% clear on how long the stimulus presentation needs to be before it becomes a block of stimulation (I might have missed something here).

Question 2.
I wanted to model the hemodynamic function that might be expected with this kind of stimulus timing. I remember there is something in AFNI, maybe using 1dplot, where you can put in your stimulus timings and then model the HRF you expect, but can't remember exactly what to do. If someone post me a link or something that would be much appreciated.

Question 3.
Is there a difference in how you would put an event related design into AFNI if you were modelling the GLM using 3dDeconvolve? Or do you just put your stimulus timings in the same way for both?

Thank you very much for your help,

Harriet
Subject Author Posted

Event vs. block related design/ analysis

hdempseyjones June 07, 2021 02:35AM

Re: Event vs. block related design/ analysis

gang June 07, 2021 04:10PM