AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 06, 2019 12:29PM
Thanks, I think my questions weren't quite clear:

1 - I didn't mean for different thresholds or alpha levels, but for different comparisons. For example, if I have a 2x2 design, I might want to look at a main effect for each factor separately, and for the interaction. Each one of these would be a different beta map, so I would to run 3dttest++ on each main effect and on the interaction separately?

2 - As I understand it, the idea of cluster thresholding is using spatial permutation in order to only accept clusters that contiguous enough to be unlikely to appear given the spatial distribution of effects (or, in other words, how likely are we to receive a cluster of a given size, under the null hypothesis that all variance in the data is noise). Thus, the 3dClustSim -acf method just took the measure of the spatial variance, and used that to compute spatial permutations with the right level of smoothness.
But if we are looking at the residuals of the 3dttest on beta maps, then the spatial variation in the residuals should be dependent on how much individual difference there is in the betas--that is, an effect which is similar across all subjects should have smaller residuals that an effect which shows more variation. Does this not mean that the permutation is mixing up cross-subject variance in activation (in betas) with spatial variance in activation? These seem to be two separate sources of variance, and intuitively it's not clear to my why it makes sense to mix the cross-subject variance into the spatial filtering.

Thanks again!
Subject Author Posted

Input to 3dttest++ -Clustsim

henrybrice October 29, 2019 03:24AM

Re: Input to 3dttest++ -Clustsim

rick reynolds October 30, 2019 08:56AM

henrybrice October 30, 2019 09:33AM

rick reynolds November 06, 2019 09:20AM

henrybrice November 06, 2019 12:29PM