AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 23, 2020 09:56AM
Howdy-

Could we take a step back and check about why an EPI from a subject would be directly aligned to an MNI EPI? In general, EPIs have veeery poor spatial resolution, making high quality alignment tough.

At the risk of repeating something that might already be familiar, I will note that we would recommend:
+ align subject EPI to subject T1w anatomical, say, with just affine alignment because the shapes/structures should be quite similar, different mainly by EPI/other MRI distortions; even though the EPI has poor quality, the idea is that it can be somewhat "easily" be aligned to that subject's own anatomical, which has better detail resolution to use for alignment to a different subject/template brain;
+ align subject anatomical to high definition template, like the MNI T1w template, with nonlinear warping, because both the source and base volumes in this step should have lots of details;
+ concatenate the "subj EPI - subj T1w" and "subj T1w - template T1w" warps (along with any other alignment/registration steps, such as motion correction), and apply one single warp to your original EPI---in this way, the data set isn't interpolated many times, just once, minimizing unnecessary smoothing.

Of course, you might have a specific application in mind, but I thought I would mention the above as a generally preferred modus operandi.

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Aligment EPI to EPI_MNI Attachments

LuisaBoh March 23, 2020 09:33AM

Re: Aligment EPI to EPI_MNI

ptaylor March 23, 2020 09:56AM

Re: Aligment EPI to EPI_MNI

LuisaBoh March 23, 2020 05:12PM