AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 07, 2020 11:36AM
Hello all,

Actually, belay this request for help as I seem to have found the issue. Tried to retrace steps between first successful GUI launch and current error, think on big changes I made. Seems that difference between WSL 1 and WSL 2 is the key. After Ubuntu install, converted to WSL 2 later part of install as per Windows' instructions (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10). Note that WSL 2 seems to have been released a few months ago (early part of 2020).

I had set distribution version to WSL 2 by running this in Command Prompt, followed by a conversion that took a few minutes
wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2

Seems that after doing so, AFNI GUI would not launch.

But tried conversion back to WSL1 and made sure my default distro was WSL 1 using the following in Command Prompt
wsl --set-version Ubuntu 1
wsl --set-default-version 1

Then restarted computer, ran xLaunch again and attempted 'afni' in Ubuntu, met with success.

Thus, seems that so far, best to keep in WSL 1 for Win10 to run AFNI etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2020 11:37AM by patreyes.
Subject Author Posted

Win 10 WSL xLaunch AFNI GUI Error

Patrick Reyes August 07, 2020 11:06AM

Re: Win 10 WSL xLaunch AFNI GUI Error

Patrick Reyes August 07, 2020 11:36AM

ptaylor August 07, 2020 01:04PM

Daniel Glen August 09, 2020 09:26AM