AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 02, 2021 10:59AM
Just cross-referencing some information here about 3dMSS from another thread (where @Gang was helping me out with 3dLMEr), in case someone is using 3dMSS and has the same questions:

"My [original 3dLMEr] model is for a longitudinal study with two groups and [multiple] measurements (...)"

>Your current model [in 3dLMEr] assumes a linear relationship of Time. In case nonlinearity is of interest, consider 3dMSS.

"For 3dLMEr so far, my next steps are (...) 3dFWHMx and (...) 3dClustsim for cluster correction - is there a way to do this with 3dMSS?"

>No, but you don't have to adopt a harsh thresholding approach, and instead show the results in a gradation fashion.

"Would my model [in 3dLMEr, with Time=0-6: Time*Group+Age+Gender+(Time|Subj) ] translate to the following in 3dMSS?: -mrr 's(Time)+s(Time,by=Group)+(Age)+(Gender)'"

>The above specification assumes that there are 10 or more time points. With 7 time points, try
>-mrr 's(Time,k=7)+s(Time,by=Group,k=7)+Age+Gender'

"According to the 3dMSS [help file], I would create a pred.txt that include label, Time and Group (binarized).
Are Age and Gender okay to only be in the dataTable (not the pred.txt), and would Gender have to binarized for 3dMSS?"

>All predictors are required to be specified for prediction (in the file pred.txt). Dummy coding is needed when you want to account for the interaction with >nonlinearity (e.g., Group in your case). However, Gender does not have to be dummy-coded.
Subject Author Posted

New program 3dMSS: modeling nonlinearity for quantitative predictors

gang October 26, 2020 12:00PM

Re: New program 3dMSS: modeling nonlinearity for quantitative predictors

AFNIuser007 May 02, 2021 10:59AM