AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 01, 2022 04:15PM
I am interested in implementing a notch filter in AFNI for resting state fMRI data. The documentation for 3dFourier suggests that you can implement a notch filter by combining the lowpass and highpass options (although an example of doing this correctly is not provided). Therefore, I attempted a notch filter as follows (I'm using AFNI_19.1.04 on CentOS 7).

3dFourier -prefix ${subj}_task-${task}.fourier.resid \
-retrend -lowpass ${notch_lowpass_hz} -highpass ${notch_highpass_hz} ${subj}_task-${task}.detrend.resid+tlrc

where:
notch_lowpass_hz = 0.06 ## Hz
notch_highpass_hz = 0.14 ## Hz

The resulting call yields a warning:

++ 3dFourier: AFNI version=AFNI_19.1.04 (Apr 21 2019) [64-bit]
** WARNING: lowpass=0.060000 is <= than highpass=0.140000
** -------: results from 3dFourier are suspect!

This leads me to believe that my assumptions about how to implement the notch in AFNI are incorrect. The notch should pass all frequencies below the lowpass and above the highpass (i.e., a bandstop filter eliminating frequencies on the range lowpass-hipass), but the warning suggests that the logical way of combining the lowpass and highpass flags is incorrect. The warning suggests that 3dFourier can only execute a bandpass filter (where lowpass would indeed be higher than the highpass).

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2022 04:18PM by kabush_mri.
Subject Author Posted

Notch filter using AFNI

kabush_mri April 01, 2022 04:15PM

Re: Notch filter using AFNI

ptaylor April 01, 2022 05:45PM

kabush_mri April 08, 2022 07:25PM

kabush_mri April 12, 2022 02:46PM

ptaylor April 12, 2022 03:35PM