AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 19, 2021 03:39PM
Hi, Yasir-

Sorry for the delay in reply to this. Since I really know nothing about these quantities, I was trying to read a bit more about them. You example is nice, too, thanks.

One thing to note is that there are apparently 2 different ways of defining LZC: the LZ-76 and LZ-78 (I think the numbers denote papers form 1976 and 1978, respectively). They produce different dictionaries of terms and different complexity values-- this was something that was not explained so clearly everywhere online (what? the web isn't always clear and precise??!), but this article:
[www.mitpressjournals.org]
in particular helped clarify the distinction a bit. For example, I *think* that what you describe with your example is more along the lines of LZC-76.

This is probably something that could be added to AFNI, but I have a bit of a backlog of things to do at this moment...

The fSD that you describe sounds to me like basically fALFF---see for example the Appendix here:
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
(though it was derived in other papers). This is basically a quantity that describes the relative contribution of a frequency band to the overall sum of amplitudes--- something akin to (but not the same as) the relative power in a band. AFNI's 3dRSFC will also calculate fRSFA, because RSFA is analogous to ALFF (just the L2 norm of frequencies instead of the L1 norm).

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Length of rest and task?

duodenum January 09, 2021 04:42AM

Re: Length of rest and task?

ptaylor January 11, 2021 11:45AM

duodenum January 12, 2021 02:35AM

duodenum January 12, 2021 06:07AM

ptaylor January 12, 2021 12:06PM