AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 04, 2021 01:55AM
Hi there,

I am using align_api_anat.py under afni_proc.py for some alignment of epi (partial coverage) to an anatomical

I am getting some warnings with my first pass (code below), and just wanted to make sure I am doing the right things.

The first warnings are about obliquity.

I get obliquity warnings about my epi (around 36 degrees from plumb) during most parts of the processing (3dToutcount, 3dAutomask, 3drefit, 3dAllineate etc.)
I also get two obliquity warnings about my anatomical (about 2 degrees from plumb) during 3dAutomask and 3dAllineate

The anatomical warning is a bit weird because 3dinfo says it is not oblique at one point in the output:

3dinfo ./__tt_FR_uniden_avg_ns+orig | \grep 'Data Axes Tilt:'|\grep 'Oblique'
#++ Dataset /scratch/inode/uqhdemp1/P007_playing/P007_FR_6.results/__tt_FR_uniden_avg_ns+orig is not oblique
#Script is running (command trimmed):
3dinfo ./pb00.P007_FR_6.r01.tcat+orig | \grep 'Data Axes Tilt:'|\grep 'Oblique'
#++ Dataset /scratch/inode/uqhdemp1/P007_playing/P007_FR_6.results/pb00.P007_FR_6.r01.tcat+orig is ***oblique****

From what I can tell, because I am using align_epi_anat.py, it works out I have obliquity and includes this in the alignment. I can see obliquity transformation in the output for 3dAllineate.
Q: is it dealing with the obliquity, so I don't need to worry/ do anything further?
Q: Does it deoblique the epi, or the anatomical, or just aligns them to each other so you don't need to worry about obliquity?

In a later round of processing, I included -deoblique as an option in align_epi_anat.py (see second pass code), but I still get the warnings.
Q: Do I need to bother including this -deoblique if it is seemingly doing it anyway in align_epi_anat.py?

[I am aware I can turn the warnings off if I like by editing my .afniric file]
[Alignments appear to be good - and no difference with -deoblique on or not specified from what I can tell visually]
[I am aware they are just warnings, not errors]

The second warnings are about autoweight

I have not specified my cost function in align_epi_anat.py and seems to be using the default -lpc. I get the following warning about using autoweight

'-autoweight' is recommended when using -lpc or -lpa #
++ # If your results are not good, please try again

The info in 3dAllineate -help looks like you need to specify numbers to say how you want the autoweight to be computed...? I don't really know what I should be doing here, so would not know what numbers to specify...

I tried putting -autoweight on its own as an option in align_epi_anat (see third pass code below) but does not run (brings up an error).
Q: I guess my question is, should I be using autoweight? If so, how do I add it as an option?

The third warning was about cmass

My align_epi_anat produces three 3dAllineate blocks
- The first is e2a alignment only, this appears to use cmass+a
- The second combines e2a and oblique transformations to make my new warped anatomical without skull --> this is where I get the following warnings

[7m*+ WARNING: [0m center of mass shifts (-cmass) are turned off, but would be TERRIBLY large!
[7m*+ WARNING: [0m - at least one is more than 50% of search range
[7m*+ WARNING: [0m -cmass was turned off, but might have been needed :(
please check your results - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Q: Do I need to add cmass option into my code? (presumably cmass+a if do, due to partial volume)
Q: I tried putting the option in as -cmass+a but this did not work, so I put -cmass cmass+a (see fourth pass code). Is this wrong?

[Note: I ran the third pass code and still get warnings about cmass being turned off in the second 3dAllineate...]
[Also, the help options suggest I am already getting cmass shifts with ginormous_move, which might be why I see cmass+a in the first 3dAllineate block... so maybe I don't need to change anything?]

Sorry about having so many questions, I am a major noob to all things fMRI. This is literally my first analysis :o

Thank you for your time,

Harriet

------------------------

First pass code.

afni_proc.py -subj_id $subj \
-blocks align \
-dsets $data_dir/P007_FR_RUN* \
-tcat_remove_first_trs 0 \
-copy_anat $data_dir/FR_uniden_avg \
-anat_has_skull yes \
-align_opts_aea \
-ginormous_move \