AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 13, 2021 04:46PM
Hi, JW-

Sorry for missing this earlier.

Hmmm, how much of a gap is there in your task data between events? I don't know that one can treat the gaps between events (and this meaning the event itself, convolved with a reasonable HRF, which greatly extends the duration of what is meant by "event") as rest. While resting state acquisitions are just somewhat unconstrained periods of brain activity (and many people complain about this), I think that is still quite different than being a tiny gap between stimulated events. Many people make the case that resting state scans should be >10 mins, say, to "settle down" into stability---this is very different than what might be at most a few seconds between stimuli, and most task presentations do not have large gaps between event blocks (even before considering the HRF, which again would further lengthen the duration of what one would term part of the "event" measurement).

It is true that there is a residual output by afni_proc.py, but I also don't think this could be considered "the resting state component" of a task stimulus. Given the imperfection of GLM modeling, there would probably be too many relics of the task left in there. (And again, I can hear people asking how this would be different than a normal resting state scan, where there is audio stimulation from the scanner, visual stimulus from lights in the room, etc.---that still strikes me as a separate consideration).

So, you might be able to look at the residual and see how it looks across the brain, but that would probably not be comparable to a resting state scan. If anything, it would be closer to what people look at for measuring the smoothness of noise, for things like clustering.

--pt
Subject Author Posted

quantifying resting state component of task-based time series

JW March 31, 2021 10:46AM

Re: quantifying resting state component of task-based time series

JW April 13, 2021 11:49AM

ptaylor April 13, 2021 04:46PM

JW April 15, 2021 09:52PM

ptaylor April 16, 2021 07:16AM