AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 08, 2021 07:29AM
Dear Colleagues,

Hi. Let me ask a naive question about using AFNI on Biowulf. I know that things are much more complicated than the way I represent them, but let me oversimplify things so that I can get a rough understanding.

I ran a script that combining
/home/picchionid/afni/CD/AFNI_data6/FT_analysis/Qwarp/s00.warper
and
/home/picchionid/afni/CD/AFNI_data6/FT_analysis/Qwarp/s05.ap.Qwarp
with minimum changes on our raid with

(base) picchionid@raid ~> afni_system_check.py -check_all | grep -i cpu
number of CPUs: 8
(base) picchionid@raid ~> 3dQwarp -help | grep -i dante
++ OpenMP thread count = 8
++ 3dQwarp: AFNI version=AFNI_21.0.17 (Mar 13 2021) [64-bit]
++ Authored by: Zhark the (Hermite) Cubically Warped

, and it took about 2 hr. Then I ran it on Biowulf with

number of CPUs: 72
++ OpenMP thread count = 72

, and the processing time only decreased by about 25%. So, is the following basically a correct understanding? On p. 33 of
/home/picchionid/afni/CD/afni_handouts/afni_proc.pdf
, the bullet that reads "Takes a long time, so the script should be submitted to a multi-node cluster" should be interpreted as "Takes a long time, so [when processing multiple subjects, each subject] should be submitted to a multi-node cluster [as different subjobs]." In other words, "typically, AFNI on Biowulf is used to simultaneously process a large number of independent datasets via the swarm utility" (https://hpc.nih.gov/apps/afni.html).

Sincerely,

Dante
Subject Author Posted

Using AFNI on Biowulf

dante.picchioni April 08, 2021 07:29AM

Re: Using AFNI on Biowulf

ptaylor April 08, 2021 08:58AM

dante.picchioni April 08, 2021 09:38AM

ptaylor April 08, 2021 09:48AM