AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 29, 2021 11:52AM
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the detailed response. After investigating this a little more, I see that I have conflated two separate issues. With the example I gave above, the two actually are pretty much identical (though I take your point on the wisdom of using bisided vs. 2sided). Embarrassingly, I think the discrepancy I saw was because I checked the "pos" button and thought I was missing some clusters. Oops!

However, the double p value does come up when I use 3dClusterize with a 1-sided test. So here is what I would request, in this case from an F-statistic.

3dClusterize -inset filename.nii \
-mask mask.nii -ithr 5 \
-idat 5 -NN 1 -1sided RIGHT_TAIL p=0.001 \
-clust_nvox 11 -pref_map test3.nii

Here is the GUI report for what I think should be the equivalent (it isn't):
3dClusterize -nosum -1Dformat -inset filename.nii \
-idat 5 -ithr 5 \
-NN 1 -clust_nvox K \
-2sided -7.3247 7.3247 \
-pref_map Clust_mask

* I can confirm 7.3247 is the threshold for p < 0.001 in the GUI in this example

To actually match the clusters generated through my 3dClusterize command, I need to change the p value to 0.002 in the GUI. I guess this narrows it down to my misunderstanding how the p-value is set for a 1-sided versus 2-sided test. Two follow up questions would be:
1. Should I be using a bisided test even for this F statistic? (I thought 1-sided was appropriate here).
2. Since I requested a 1 sided test, is this why the p-value is double in the 3dClusterize output? Do I need to adjust the desired p value to half in the command?

Thanks again for your help!
Subject Author Posted

3dClusterize p thresholding

rwaugh April 29, 2021 08:56AM

Re: 3dClusterize p thresholding

ptaylor April 29, 2021 10:01AM

rwaugh April 29, 2021 11:52AM

ptaylor April 29, 2021 12:16PM

rwaugh April 29, 2021 12:45PM