AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 26, 2021 05:37PM
Hi, 2086-

The acquired MRI data comes from voxels, essentially setting the minimum, nonzero thickness one *should* be able to measure in a dset, so I see no problem in making a volumetric GM ROI from your surface ROI + pial surface dset + white matter surface dset.

In terms of comparing GM volume between two groups like that.... well... that's a bit trickier, perhaps. Indeed, using the standard SUMA meshes should help this effort---you should be able to generate the "same" (or at least, "analogous") ROI in each subject's native brain space, yes. The larger difficulty I see is: how do you want to compare the ROI volume, once you do calculate it? Do you scale each ROI volume by the subject's total GM volume volume? or by the subject's total brain volume, perhaps? Or by nothing at all? That decision will probably be determined by your research question of interest.

I guess your GM ROI of interest is not a FreeSurfer-estimable one, then? Because then some of that work would be done for you already.

--pt
Subject Author Posted

How to calculate the gray matter volume of a surface ROI?

EXP.2086 July 20, 2021 09:57PM

Re: How to calculate the gray matter volume of a surface ROI?

ptaylor July 26, 2021 05:37PM