AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 13, 2022 06:41AM
Hi Paul,

lets start with 3dPeriodogram (and leave 3dLombScargle aside for the moment, just to make things easier). Some facts first:

- I don't bandpass the data (via bandpassing in AFNI proc). I avoid a direct bandpassing to keep DOF high.
- However, once I transformed the preprocessed time-series into its frequency-domain via 3dPeriodogram, I cut the frequency domain via 3dTcat to 0.01-0.25 Hz.
The lower frequency limit is to avoid scanner noise; the higher frequency limit is due to the nyquist frequency. A side question here: the result of this is not the same as directly bandpassing the data via AFNI proc, correct?
- This results in artifically low PLE values for a couple of subjects. However, using precisely this method I achieved reasonable results in another dataset as well as in the same dataset before, albeit with the unorthodox preprocessing script for the new/current dataset I am dealing with now.

Here is my 3dPeriodogram script. The length of the time-series is 240 time points with a TR of 2s. Therefore, an -nfft value of 512 should be fine.

3dPeriodogram \
-nfft 512 \
-prefix $directory_results_1/restingstate/$subject/PD_$subject \
errts.${subject}_Rest.anaticor+tlrc

Next, I apply a little smoothing, cut the frequency range to 0.01-0.25 Hz, and log the axes. A note here: how do I know that I have to cut the frequency-domain with 3dTcat in the range of [10..255]? I used an nfft value of 512. The steps in the frequency-domain (the output of 3dPeriodogram) are defined by 1/(nfft*TR). In my case, this means that 1/(512*2) = 0.0009765625.

The first value in the frequency-domain would consequently be 0.0009765625. We have 256 steps in the frequency domain (half the nfft value). 0.0009765625 * 256 = 0.25. Therefore, the last step/value in the frequency-domain ("on the very right") is 0.25 Hz, our nyquist frequency for a TR of 2s. Now, if I am interested in the frequency range of 0.01 - 0.25 Hz, I cut out the first 10 time points (0-9) in AFNI in order to keep time point 10 to 256 (since AFNI starts counting with 0, the last time point for 3dTcat would be 255).

0.0009765625*10 = 0.009765625 Hz. My frequency range would consequently start with 0.0097 Hz (the next time step 11 would be 0.0107421875, so I chose the lower one).

3dTcat \
-prefix BP_PD_${subject} \
PD_${subject}+tlrc'[10..255]'

3dTsmooth \
-hamming 7 \
-prefix Smooth_BP_PD_${subject} \
BP_PD_${subject}+tlrc

3dcalc \
-prefix Log_Smooth_BP_PD_${subject} \
-a Smooth_BP_PD_${subject}+tlrc \
-expr 'log(a)'

Finally, before applying my ROIs, I use 3dfim+ for the linear regression to yield the voxel-based PLE values. The "Log_BP_Ideal_frequency_Rest.1D" file is my manually created one-column ideal frequency file. This file starts with the value 0.0009765625 and goes up to 0.25 Hz. Just like with 3dTcat, 1dcat cutted the first 9 values out. Second, 1deval applied the logarithm on the data. The frequency range/values in this .1D file consequently exactly match the frequency steps in the output by 3dPeriodogram after it was cut with 3dTcat.

3dfim+ \
-input Log_Smooth_BP_PD_${subject}+tlrc \
-ideal_file $directory_ideal/Log_BP_Ideal_frequency_Rest.1D \
-out 'Fit Coef' \
-bucket PLE_${subject}

Now I extract all voxel-based PLE values inside a ROI with 3dcalc and compute the mean PLE in this ROI with 3dmaskave.

# 3dcalc
3dcalc \
-a $directory_PD/RestingState/$subject/PLE_${subject}+tlrc \
-b $directory_ROIs/Core.nii \
-expr 'a*b' \
-prefix $directory_results/RestingState/$subject/PLE_SCP_Core_${subject}

# 3dmaskave
3dmaskave \
-mask $directory_ROIs/Core.nii \
-quiet \
PLE_SCP_Core_$subject+tlrc > PLE_SCP_Core_$subject.1D

The resulting average PLE value for this ROI is -0.010082, which is way too low.

Let us now look at the frequency-domain (and its log-log transformation).
1. I extracted the frequency-domain results from AFNI (the results that were 3dTcat and 3dTsmoothed). These were plotted with Python, shown below. All computations stem from AFNI, Python only plots those.
2. I extracted the log-log transformation results from AFNI for the same subject and ROI. These were again plotted with Python.

We can see that a PLE result of -0.01 does really not match the visual results of the log-log transformation; the slope of the curve is far higher (as can already be seen in the frequency-domain without log-log as well). I wonder what is happening here? Does the problem stem from 3dfim+?

Thanks,
Philipp
Attachments:
open | download - 1.png (145.9 KB)
open | download - 2.png (84.3 KB)
Subject Author Posted

3dPeriodogram/3dLombScargle - Preprocessing

Philipp April 12, 2022 01:27PM

Re: 3dPeriodogram/3dLombScargle - Preprocessing

ptaylor April 12, 2022 04:45PM

Re: 3dPeriodogram/3dLombScargle - Preprocessing Attachments

Philipp April 13, 2022 06:41AM