AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 21, 2022 10:02AM
Hi, Philipp-

We have seen similar rapid variations in other cases of breathing apparatuses used in FMRI.

You should open the initial EPI in the GUI, and flip through the volumes (e.g., open a graph window and hit the right arrow key over it to surf through the data). Does the subject appear to be moving?

My guess is that these oscillating, estimated "micromovements"---I wouldn't call them white noise, because they appear too regular---are likely related to the breathing apparatus, perhaps affecting the magnetic field slightly or related to breathing movements. Unless the head is fixed with a styrofoam cap or something, the subject can still move, even though anaesthetized (e.g., their chest motion will follow breathing), and their breathing pattern can be different than normal. But again, my guess would be, based on the rapid frequency, that it is related to the machine a bit.

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Estimation of head motion in anesthesia – artifact or real data? Attachments

Philipp April 21, 2022 03:17AM

Re: Estimation of head motion in anesthesia – artifact or real data?

ptaylor April 21, 2022 10:02AM

Philipp April 22, 2022 01:35PM

Daniel Glen April 25, 2022 05:01PM

wanyongshin May 12, 2022 10:59AM