AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 29, 2022 11:45AM
Hi all,

as promised in my last thread "3dNwarpApply error: Warp dataset 'nwarp native_al_mat.aff12.1D' name is too much like a matrix text file " and encouraged by ptaylor :) I would be happy to discuss nonlinear registration of my data set. As you can see from the attached image "ROI_alignment_comp" the affine transformation was not successful - the red circle (manually drawn) is where the ROI should be after transformation and the blue patch is where the region actually is. Following is my plan and a description of my data:

I want to use several ROIs from an atlas that depict nuclei in the brainstem, hence it is necessary to transform the ROIs from the atlas via a T1 structural image to native (subject) space that looks similar to a T2 contrast. The caveat is that the native space image is high resolution but only covers a relevant part of the brainstem as can be also seen in the attached image.

The atlas is in MNI space with 1x1x1 mm resolution (MNI152_T1_1mm).
The individual T1 anatomical has 0.7x0.7x0.7mm resolution
The target native space has 0.4x0.4x0.4 mm resolution (but only covers a part of the brainstem)

I took a first step with 3dQwarp and 3dNwarpApply but the results were not satisfactory.
In more detail, I conducted the following steps (also following the SAMPLE USAGE ~1~ in the help file [afni.nimh.nih.gov]):

3dWarp -overwrite -quintic -deoblique -prefix anat orig_T1_UNI-DEN.nii.gz
3dWarp -overwrite -quintic -deoblique -prefix target_native mtc.nii.gz
3dWarp -overwrite -quintic -deoblique -prefix mni MNI152_T1_1mm.nii.gz

3dUnifize -prefix anat_U -input anat+orig
3dSkullStrip -input anat_U+orig -prefix anatT1_U_brain -niter 400 -ld 40

#Linear registration of the target_native space to the anatT1 image
align_epi_anat.py -overwrite -dset1 target_native+orig. -dset2 anat_U+orig. -dset1to2 -partial_axial -dset1_strip None -dset2_strip None -edge -cost lpa

#Affine registration of the skullstripped anatT1 to MNI space
3dAllineate -prefix anatT1_to_MNI -base mni+tlrc -source anatT1_U_brain+orig. -twopass -cost lpa -1Dmatrix_save anatT1_to_MNI.aff12.1D -autoweight -fineblur 3 -cmass -twobest MAX -source_automask

As can be seen in the attached pic "transformation_steps", row A, there is some deviation.

#Nonlinear warping of the affine transformed anatT1 to MNI space and saving the inverted warp field for later
3dQwarp -prefix QA_anatT1_to_MNI -blur 0 3 -base mni+tlrc -source anatT1_to_MNI+tlrc -iwarp

As can be seen in the attached pic "transformation_steps", row B, the deviation is reduced but not gone.

# Inverting and concatenating the transformation matrices from align_epi_anat (MNI-->target_native) and from 3dAllineate (MNI-->anat)
cat_matvec -ONELINE anatT1_to_MNI.aff12.1D -I target_native_al_mat.aff12.1D -I > mat_MNI_to_target_native.aff12.1D

# Inverting the atlas ROI from MNI-->target_native space
3dNwarpApply -prefix mni2target_native_warped -source mni+tlrc -master target_native+orig. -nwarp QA_anatT1_to_MNI_WARPINV+tlrc mat_MNI_to_target_native.aff12.1D

As can be seen in the attached pic "transformation_steps", row C (and ROI_alignment_comp), the inversion was not.successful.

Happy to learn more about how to improve the registration!

Bests,
Philipp
Attachments:
open | download - ROI_alignment_comp.jpg (50.3 KB)
open | download - transformation_steps.jpg (501 KB)
Subject Author Posted

Nonlinear registration for hires slab Attachments

philippn April 29, 2022 11:45AM

Re: Nonlinear registration for hires slab

ptaylor April 29, 2022 05:25PM

Re: Nonlinear registration for hires slab Attachments

philippn April 29, 2022 05:51PM