AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 25, 2023 08:54PM
Hello Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I apologize if I repeat my question but I want to make sure that I made clear that I am trying to summarize the amount of spikes in the HIP based on the spikiness measure ā€˜sā€™ (output from 3dDespike). I am wondering if using 3dToutcount is appropriate to do so in this case.
So I am not looking at the raw signal of the time series and try to determine outliers but rather I am looking at the spikiness measure ā€˜sā€™ from 3dDespike that was calculated by already fitting a smooth-ish curve to the raw signal in each voxel and determining the degree of deviation of each time point under consideration of MAD and standard deviation.
I am not sure conceptually if it makes sense to determine outliers (in this case spikes) in this signal based on calculating again a trend over this spikiness measure and the deviations from this trend. I thought that an outlier (in this case spike) is determined based on the value of s (default in afni >2.5) so it would make more sense to me to now just count the fraction of voxels at each time point where s exceeds lets say 2.5.
Or are you saying that I should detrend the raw time series before running 3dDespike?
Or that what I am trying to do is not a good idea and I should just use 3dToutcount on the raw signal with the -mask option and limit the analysis to the HIP?

I love the idea of also looking and comparing the BOLD % signal change in the HIP voxels as an additional measure for QC. And looking at ReHo. I have not heard of this measure before. Thank you very much for these suggestions!

Carolin
Subject Author Posted

what measure is recommended to summarize "spikiness" in an area

carolin31 August 04, 2022 10:29PM

Re: what measure is recommended to summarize "spikiness" in an area

ptaylor August 05, 2022 10:14PM

carolin31 August 15, 2022 04:02PM

carolin31 December 21, 2022 01:45PM

ptaylor December 23, 2022 09:15AM