AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 22, 2023 08:30AM
Dear all,

I have a quick question regarding the combined use of

-regress_bandpass x y
-regress_polort x

in AFNI proc.

By default, AFNI proc automatically adjusts the option "regress_polort" depending on the run’s length. I often read the recommendation here on the AFNI board that IF one really wants to bandpass the data, say from 0.01-0.1 Hz, one should additionally set "regress_polort 2" in case the runs are very long and AFNI proc uses a polort option that is too high.

Lets say I have a TR of 1s and 900 sampling points, and I would like to bandpass from 0.01-0.2 Hz. Wouldn't the the option "regress_polort 2" be superfluous in this case, or is it advised to use both the bandpass filter and the polort opton set to 2, 3 or any other value?

The help file for 3dDeconvolve (https://afni.nimh.nih.gov/pub/dist/doc/program_help/3dDeconvolve.html) states that
For pnum > 2, this type of baseline detrending
is roughly equivalent to a highpass filter
with a cutoff of (p-2)/D Hz, where 'D' is the
duration of the imaging run: D = N*TR

Let's say I use "regress_polort 3". In this case, the polort option regresses frequencies below 0.001111... Hz. But the "bandpass" option, namely 0.01-0.2 Hz, already includes a high-pass filter of 0.01.

Question 1: why is the polort option still recommend when one bandpasses anyway, or is it not and regress_polort 0 should be used?
Question 2: Moreover, the cited 3dDeconvolve formula above only states what happens for a polort option bigger than 2. But what happens when polort 2 is used? Since p-2 (2-2) equals 0 and the resulting frequency of (2-2)/D would always be 0?

Thanks,
Philipp

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2023 08:31AM by Philipp.
Subject Author Posted

Bandpassing and the polort option

Philipp May 22, 2023 08:30AM