AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 19, 2003 11:49AM
Well, my design is a little unusual, as I am looking at changes in mental state.
The first scan is 24 minutes long: 8 minute baseline, 8 minutes of state A, then another 8 minute baseline. The questions are: 1) is state A different from baseline, and 2) Are the 2 baseline the same, or has state A had carry-over effects into the second baseline. I treated the second baseline as a different state (eg made a different column for it in the .1D file), then calculated the regression coefficients for it and for state A, as well as a glt for A vs the second baseline.

The second scan is 40 minutes long. There is an 8 minute baseline, 8 minutes of state B, then 24 minutes of state C, which we arbitrarily divide into 3 8-mintue blocks for analysis (we expect some things to change and some to stay the same across the 24 minutes). States B and C are counterbalanced across subjects. The questions are: what does each of the states (B, C1, C2 and C3) look like relative to baseline, and what is different between each of the 4 blocks. I created coefficient maps for each block, as well as glts for B vs C1 or C3; and C3 vs C1.

For both scans I would like to report group effects, including statistical significance and percent change. As for which statistical test to use, I don't know enough stats to know which is the proper one (I thought I could just do a bunch of t-tests, but apparently that is not the case).

I have just re-read the message from Christine, and she also suggested making a conjunction map to find regions of activation in common across the group. Would this be an acceptable alternative to a stat test? I presume not, but it would certainly be a way around the problem of the differences between significance in individuals vs group maps (ie .0001 in individuals but only 0.1 in the group map).

While I have your attention, I might as well ask a few more questions. What is the best (or usually done) order of steps post deconvolution? Specifically, does it matter whether I smooth or Talairach transform first (and when best to add teh -dxyz=1 step)? I have tried different orders and seen slightly different maps, which is disconcerting, to say the least. Any advice?

Thanks much!
Sara
Subject Author Posted

which tool and AUC

Sara March 18, 2003 03:55PM

Re: which tool and AUC

B. Douglas Ward March 18, 2003 06:31PM

Sara March 19, 2003 11:49AM

B. Douglas Ward March 19, 2003 06:30PM