AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 10, 2015 01:11PM
Hi Guruji,

We're playing with some options for noise correction of resting fMRI data using afni_proc.

The problem goes something like this:

Number of TRs: 145
TR = 2 seconds

We want to eliminate contributions to the signal with frequency greater than 1/6 = 0.167. Ultimately, we'll also probably want to get rid of frequencies lower than 1/100 but we'd like to do that with -polort when we run our seed time-series correlation analysis using 3dDeconvolve; our reason for doing this is that we occasionally see meaningful correlations among select nodes of different intrinsic networks at very low frequencies.

To accomplish this, we've included -regress_bandpass 0.001 0.167 in our afni_proc script--where the lowpass is right where we want it and the highpass is less than the lowest possible frequency in our data. Two questions emerge:

1. Is this okay?
2. The resulting (1 - ((lowpass - highpass) / nyquist)) X TRs = 46 bandpass regressors seem like a lot of degrees of freedom to lose. I *think* I get your rationale for this, which is that we're throwing away the df by considering only a certain range of the data so why not estimate the unwanted signal as well as possible. From another perspective, though, I wonder if we can keep some of those dfs to be used for some of our high-motion subjects who have a lot of TRs censored. Getting outside of my comfort zone on this, though, so just tell me if what I propose is irrational...

Thanks!

Paul
Subject Author Posted

lowpass with bandpass in afni_proc

paul.hamilton November 10, 2015 01:11PM

Re: lowpass with bandpass in afni_proc

rick reynolds November 12, 2015 09:03PM

paul.hamilton November 13, 2015 08:35AM

rick reynolds November 17, 2015 12:56PM