AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 31, 2003 05:57PM
Hi AFNI Experts!

I have some statistical questions, which I came across while going through the 3dANOVA manual.

I have a set of male subjects, who all underwent the same experiment.
The experiment was set up as a mixed design consisting of rapid event related "blocks" and pure baseline periods in between. Two tasks had to be performed during these event related blocks: a memory task and an easy cognitive task (Labeling). Visual stimuli with 3 valences (pleasant, unpleasant, neutral) have been used for both tasks.

The scientific background for my statistical questions is briefly following:
Some brain regions have repeatedly shown to be activated dependend onthe valence of stimuli (e.g. amygdala during unpleasant and pleasant in comparison to neutral stimuli). Other brain region like BA 9 have been shown to be activated during working memory tasks in comparison to simple cognitive tasks as labeling.

I am interested in figuring out, how emotional and cognitive circuits interact.
Eg. if BA9 activation is enhanced by the presence of a pleasant stimulus in comparison to unpleasant or neutral stimuli.

My data are normalized to % signal change and AUCs has been used as input.

I specified 2 factors:
Factor A: Valence consisting of 3 levels (Pleasant, unpleasant, neutral)
Factor B: Cognitive state consisting of 2 levels (working memory and labeling)

At this timepoint only a within subjects analysis is planed.

Following six briks have been chosen for the "dset" input for 3dANOVA2:
P1: pleasant under WM
P2: pleasant under LA
U1: unpleasant under WM
U1: unpleasant under LA
N1: neutral under WM
N2: neutral under LA

I used a fixed effects model.

Well, after thinking about all, I am not quite sure, if this is the best way to explore this anymore. Is it reasonable to use a random effects model? And why? If yes, how can I calculate contrasts since this options are not available within this model. Are my factors correctly set up? And how do I do post hoc tests in AFNI? Finally, does the output of 3dANOVA need a correction for multiple comparisons?

Sorry for bugging you with all these questions. Any comment would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Lukas
Subject Author Posted

statistical question

Lukas Pezawas March 31, 2003 05:57PM

Re: statistical question

B. Douglas Ward April 01, 2003 10:49AM

Lukas Pezawas April 01, 2003 02:20PM

B. Douglas Ward April 01, 2003 02:53PM

Thanks!