AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 13, 2004 11:28AM
This is more of a comment than a question, but I thought it might be useful to others who are attempting the "Percent Signal Change" method as described in the "How To" on the subject.

I noticed than when I ran 3dDeconvolve on my normalized data, the resulting statistical map looked funky, with a halo of activation around the edges of the brain. My local expert told that this pattern was indicative of head movement during the task. There was also considerably less apparent activation in regions I expected the task to elicit, including visual cortex. When I reran the analysis without normalizing the data, the pattern of activation seemed more in line with my expectations, and there seemed to be considerably less movement artifact.

My guess is that by normalizing the data by the mean of the signal (and including outliers due to movement in this mean) I managed to wash out most of the interesting, task-related differences in the signal.

Does this make sense? Do you think it would be wise to exclude outliers in calculation of the mean prior to normalization, or normalize the data after rather than before conducting analysis?

Thanks--
JL

Subject Author Posted

Feedback on Percent Signal Change HowTo

Jane Lange February 13, 2004 11:28AM

Re: Feedback on Percent Signal Change HowTo

Gang Chen February 13, 2004 12:05PM

rick reynolds February 13, 2004 01:35PM

rick reynolds February 13, 2004 03:15PM