AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 28, 2006 06:18PM
Having read through several threads on the message board I am puzzled as to when I should use 3dmerge to spatially smooth my data.
Currently I am implementing the following preprocessing steps in the order given:
1. Clipping the data using 3dAutomask and 3dcalc
2. Motion correcting the data using 3dvolreg
3. Linear Detrending using 3dTcat -rlt+
4. Spatial Blurring using 3dmerge -1blur fwhm 5 (original vox. res. 2.5mm)
5. Temporal Smoothing using 3dTsmooth
6. High Pass Filtering using 3dFourier at .02 Hz -retrend
7. Normalizing to Percent Change using 3dcalc

Should spatial blurring be the last step or in general does thi seem like a logical order to proceed with preprocessing.

Another question I have is before high pass filtering the data the signal for a given slice will be relatively stable over time, however after filtering there is a general trend for the singal level to decrease over time. Is this an artificat of filtering as a last step or the use of the -retrend option. If HP filtering last should I use the -retrend option?
Subject Author Posted

when to use 3dmerge in preprocessing

Vincent Costa March 28, 2006 06:18PM

Re: when to use 3dmerge in preprocessing

Gang Chen March 29, 2006 10:14AM

Vincent Costa March 29, 2006 11:55AM

Gang Chen March 29, 2006 01:03PM