AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 07, 2013 05:14PM
I am running into a problem doing the pre-processing required to run a context-dependent correlation analysis.

I am using the option where the baseline is exracted from a 3dDeconvolve run that contained all EPI runs (6 runs total). Then that baseline is subtracted from the raw time series (which is a concatenation of all 6 EPI runs). Later, I will break the runs apart to create the seed for the correlation analysis.

The problem I am running into is that some type of weird signal is getting introduced into the last 10 volumes of each EPI run during step #4 below.

Here are my commands:

1) Run a 3dDeconvolve and ask it to output the baselines. Output = decon_TrialTypes_confident_getbaseline+orig (79 bricks)

2) #Get rid of the Full F subbrick at subbrick 0 because 3dSynthesize complains that these files are different lengths

3dbucket decon_TrialTypes_confident_getbaseline+orig[1..78] -prefix decon_TrialTypes_confident_getbaseline_noF

3) # extract the baseline component from the deconvolve file that has all the baseline info

3dSynthesize -cbucket decon_TrialTypes_confident_getbaseline_noF+orig -matrix Decon.xmat.1D -select baseline -prefix decon_TrialTypes_confident_baselineONLY

4) # remove the baseline component from the EPI run files that have been concatenated together

3dcalc -a allruns+orig -b decon_TrialTypes_confident_baselineONLY+orig -expr "a-b" -prefix allruns_nobaseline

The way I figured out the problem is that it looks like there is pre-steady state signal at the end of run numbers 2-6 after step #4 above in the file allruns_nobaseline+orig. This weird signal is not there in the file that contains the raw concatenated runs (allruns+orig).

It is worth mentioning that the end of run 1 does not have this problem. Also, run 1 is shorter than the other 5 runs. It is 255 volumes whereas the other runs are 265 volumes.

Is this part of my problem or have I done something else wrong?

Best,
Christine
Subject Author Posted

problem removing baseline from raw time series

Christine Smith August 07, 2013 05:14PM

Re: problem removing baseline from raw time series

Christine Smith August 07, 2013 05:20PM

Christine Smith August 07, 2013 05:26PM

rick reynolds August 07, 2013 09:54PM