AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 07, 2015 05:07AM
Dear AFNI users,

When I deal with Anat/EPI alignment via align_epi_anat.py,

I was confused to set up the option -epi_base.

Prior to this process, I did other pre-processing protocols including slice timing correction, and discarding the first TRs etc.

When setting the base volume for the alignment, should I set the base volume for the same volume I have used in the slice timing correction process?

And, reading through the cases notes in the afni_proc.py script, I had a problem understanding the following sentences.

The typical cases is to align EPI to one of volumes used in pre-processing (where dataset is provided by -dsets and where particular TR is not removed by tcat_remove_first_trs). If base volume is first or third (TR 0 or 2) from first run, or is last TR of last run, then -volreg_align _to can be used.
To specify TR that is not one of 3 just stated (first, third or last), -volreg_base_ind can be used.
To specify volume that is NOT one of those used in preprocessing (such as first presteady state volume, which would be excluded by the option -tcat_remove_first_trs), use -volreg_base_dset.

--> If I used the first volume as the base in the preprocessing, do I just use the same volume in the alignment?
(If I used the middle volume in the preprocessing, can I use the specific # of volume in the alignment via -volreg_base_ind? or -epi_base #?)
--> Should the base volume be the same between the preprocessing and the alignment processes?

I will look forward to the answer.

Thank you.
Subject Author Posted

Anat/EPI alignment considerations

hbfwjC September 07, 2015 05:07AM

Re: Anat/EPI alignment considerations

rick reynolds September 08, 2015 12:54PM