AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 11, 2016 07:41AM
Hi AFNI!

I ran into some trouble with a dataset where the anatomical and functional datasets were separated by a great distance (at least 60 mm). This caused me to get warping errors:

Linear warp: Script completed but parts of the brain were cropped out
NL warp: Script crashed due to memory corruption. Error message:

++ 3dNwarpApply: AFNI version=AFNI_16.0.05 (Feb 10 2016) [64-bit]
++ Authored by: Zhark the Warped
*+ WARNING: If you are performing spatial transformations on an oblique dset,
such as ./MACS_002_WIP_MPRAGE_SENSE_4_1+orig.BRIK,
or viewing/combining it with volumes of differing obliquity,
you should consider running:
3dWarp -deoblique
on this and other oblique datasets in the same session.
See 3dWarp -help for details.
++ Oblique dataset:./MACS_002_WIP_MPRAGE_SENSE_4_1+orig.BRIK is 8.115999 degrees from plumb.
*** Error in `3dNwarpApply': malloc(): memory corruption: 0x000000000168d1e0 ***

Fatal Signal 6 (SIGABRT) received
3dNwarpApply
Bottom of Debug Stack
** AFNI version = AFNI_16.0.05 Compile date = Feb 10 2016
** [[Precompiled binary linux_openmp_64: Feb 10 2016]]
** Program Death **
** If you report this crash to the AFNI message board,
** please copy the error messages EXACTLY, and give
** the command line you used to run the program, and
** any other information needed to repeat the problem.
** You may later be asked to upload data to help debug.

Since I got a warning message about the datasets beeing very far appart I thought that this was causing the above errors and I was hinted to use some kind of centering for the warping. I looked arround on the message board and found similar questions. But neihter ginormous move or align_centers yes worked. What did work (for affine warping), however, was to add the option -tlrc_opts_at -init_xform CENTER to the afni proc command. For the Linear warping this worked (toghter with giant move), the cropping dissapeard and I was happy. So this centering is not default?

But I want to preform a non linear warp (tlrc_NL_warp). When I use -tlrc_NL_warp I get the error above and when I try to add the same option as above (-init_xform CENTER) I run into trouble. As it seems the non linear warping is run before the affine warping when using the -tlrc_NL_warp option. When setting the same option as above: "-tlrc_opts_at -init_xform CENTER" it is passed to the function auto_warp.py instead of @auto_tlrc and that is not a valid option for this function. So this gives me another error message:

# Finished alignment successfully
auto_warp.py -base TT_N27+tlrc -input T1_al_keep+orig -skull_strip_input no -init_xform CENTER (or AUTO_CENTER)

#++ auto_warp.py version: 0.03
** error: unknown trailing arguments : ['-init_xform', 'CENTER']
** ERROR - script failed

What can I do to get this centering done for -tlrc_NL_warp just like I did for linear warping with -tlrc_opts_at -init_xform CENTER?

Any why is this a problem? Should'nt "align" take care of the data sets beeing far appart since it is run before the tlrc block?

My afni_proc.py command is below:

afni_proc.py -subj_id $sub_id \
-dsets $fmri_data \
-copy_anat $T1_data \
-blocks despike tshift align tlrc volreg blur mask regress \
-tcat_remove_first_trs 0 \
-align_opts_aea \
-giant_move \
-volreg_align_to MIN_OUTLIER \
-volreg_tlrc_warp \
-tlrc_NL_warp \
-tlrc_opts_at \
-init_xform CENTER (or AUTO_CENTER) (with and without this tlrc_ops since it causes the memory error)
-regress_censor_motion 0.3 \
-regress_censor_outliers 0.1 \
-regress_apply_mot_types demean deriv \
etc...

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 03:26PM by Robin.
Subject Author Posted

Center datasets for -tlrc_NL_warp?

Robin April 11, 2016 07:41AM

Re: Center datasets for -tlrc_NL_warp?

Daniel Glen April 11, 2016 05:44PM

Robin April 12, 2016 04:05AM

Daniel Glen April 12, 2016 07:14AM

Robin April 12, 2016 10:33AM