AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 21, 2016 09:40AM
Hi Afni Experts,
I have used freesurfer smoothed images (lh.thickness.fsaverage.fwhm15.gii) to perform a cortical thickness analysis. I used 3dttest++ to compare two groups. As covariates of no interest I added age (years), sex (0/1), site(1-10) and years of education(years). I used the following command:

3dttest++ -prefix Group1vsGroup2_Lthickness15 -covariate Group1vsGroup2 -AminusB -setA Group1 ..DSETS.... -setB Group2 ...DSETS

When using no covariate file and thresholding to p=.05 (t=2) in SUMA and setting tmin=2 in qdec and comparing these results of those in Freesurfer's qdec the results look very similar (matching previous posts).

1) However, when using covariates my results were very different from Freesurfer. I am trying to figure out the differences in how covariates are treated in 3dttest++ as compared with qdec.

--In this case should centering diff and pooled variance be the default if I did not explicitly specify?

--If i just have site 1 through 10 listed as a nuisance covariate to account for site differnces does it make sense to use these options?

--For age/years of education does centering diff seem reasonable?

2) Do you know why running through ttest++ without covariates look almost identical to freesurfer but running with covariates looks completely different? I am not sure if anyone has looked into this already.

3) Should we use some sort of FDR or clusterwise extent for correction with the cortical thickness? I looked into slow_surf.py for FDR but im not sure which program to use in order to do a clusterwise correction. Once I run these programs how do I apply it to my results? As an input I used fsaverage_lh spec and fsaverage_SurfVol for slow_surf.py Do i need to add my ttest output into this command somehow?

Thanks,
Ajay
Subject Author Posted

Cortical Thickness Analysis with 3dttest++ and covariate different with Freesurfer

AjaySK April 21, 2016 09:40AM

Re: Cortical Thickness Analysis with 3dttest++ and covariate different with Freesurfer

AjaySK April 21, 2016 05:30PM

Re: Cortical Thickness Analysis with 3dttest++ and covariate different with Freesurfer

Peter Molfese April 22, 2016 08:06AM