AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Anonymous User
November 03, 2016 05:22AM
Hi all,

my question is related to simple correlation analysis in resting state. I'm still learning to perform this type of analysis, and I find this topic quite trivial, so I want to make sure I'm getting everything right.
I want to use a bandpass filter (0.01 - 0.10 Hz), and I have basically two solutions:
A) Run deconvolution using only nuisance regressors, and filter the residual. Then, extract the activity from the seed and run the regression analysis on the filtered residual, using seed activity as the only regressor in the model;
B) Filter the data BEFORE the model. In order to avoid the reintroduction of nuisance-related variations into frequencies previously suppressed by the bandpass filter, both dataset and nuisance regressors need to be filtered. Then, run a single model, which should include both nuisance regressors and activity extracted from the seed.

Both procedures are used in literature, but results are not identical, and I wonder why. Furthermore, I'd like to know if one procedure is more advisable than another.

Hope the question is clear.
Thanks in advance,
Simone

Additional informations.
Datasets have been preprocessed (slice-time corrected, deobliqued, despiked, motion corrected, co-registered and normalized to a Talairach space, spatially filtered with a gaussian filter of 6mm FWHM).
Motion parameters (6), white matter signal, and cerebro-spinal fluid signal have been extracted, to use them as nuisance regressors.
Subject Author Posted

Filtering procedure in simple correlation

Anonymous User November 03, 2016 05:22AM

Re: Filtering procedure in simple correlation

Bob Cox November 03, 2016 01:36PM

rick reynolds November 03, 2016 03:52PM

Anonymous User November 05, 2016 11:28AM

rick reynolds November 07, 2016 08:45AM