AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 23, 2018 03:13PM
Hi AFNIers.

I'm running AFNI version=AFNI_18.1.01 (Apr 4 2018) [64-bit]

I have two nonlinear warps that I want to concatenate using 3dNwarpCat:
$ 3dNwarpCat -warp1 A-warp_for.nii.gz -warp2 B-warp_for.nii.gz -prefix AB-warp_for.nii.gz
Here, warp B maps the original anatomical to an intermediate, subject-specific template; warp A maps the subject-specific template to an MNI template.

I get the following error:
** ERROR: warp from dataset 'B-warp_for.nii.gz' doesn't match earlier input geometry
However, the program continues to run and it outputs the file AB-warp_for.nii.gz.

The subject-specific template does not lie on the MNI grid, which is what may be triggering this error. The documentation for 3dNwarpCat states:
* If any of the input warps are datasets, they must all be defined on the same 3D grid!

However, if I understand correctly, 3dNwarpApply, with the -nwarp option, does not have this limitation. Given that my run of 3dNwarpCat does not abort and indeed outputs a (correct?) warp, I'm wondering if the ERROR message above is a vestigial warning left over from a previous, less sophisticated version of 3dNwarpCat, and that the current version uses the same mechanism as 3dNwarpApply to interpolate coordinates between non-coincident warp chains.

I would use 3dNwarpApply directly, but I aim to generate the concatenated warp's jacobian (via the -bulk option of 3dNwarpFuncs) of the concatenated warp. (Note that 3dNwarpFuncs has the -nwarp option as well, but it generates the same error message as 3dNwarpCat listed above.)

So, I guess my question is: do I trust the warp provided by 3dNwarpCat despite the error message it gives?

%%% -

Just as a follow-up: I've used 3dNwarpApply with the warp computed by 3dNwarpCat (as above) and using the concatenation approach with 3dNwarpApply -nwarp option. The results are similar, but not identical: the two volumes seem aligned, but the voxel values are within 10%, not as close as I'd be comfortable with.

Any insight you might have into this would be most welcome. Thank you very much!
- Daniel
Subject Author Posted

3dNwarpCat: warp from dataset 'B-warp_for.nii.gz' doesn't match earlier input geometry

dfdrake April 23, 2018 03:13PM

Re: 3dNwarpCat: warp from dataset 'B-warp_for.nii.gz' doesn't match earlier input geometry

dfdrake April 24, 2018 10:16AM

Re: 3dNwarpCat: warp from dataset 'B-warp_for.nii.gz' doesn't match earlier input geometry

Daniel Glen April 24, 2018 11:21AM

dfdrake April 24, 2018 11:46AM