AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
acz
June 28, 2021 12:03PM
Hello,

We want to use an already tested localizer paradigm in our study. The paradigm uses a block design, with 20-s long blocks of 2 alternating conditions: 1) blocks with linguistic stimuli, and 2) blocks with foils. The blocks happen immediately one after another, without any period of rest in between. Each type of block is repeated 10 times, so the total duration of the experiment is 400 s. Our TR is 1 s. In the original analysis, the authors used a boxcar function in a package different from AFNI. However, from reading about the BLOCK function in AFNI, it sounds like it assumes intervals of rest in between blocks, so for a 20-s block it requires at least a 14-s rest after the last stimulus in the block, resulting in a 20+14 s curve. If I understand this correctly, then the BLOCK function won't be ideal to use with our design, in which blocks follow each other without a break in between. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly and am using the most optimal function for this design. Is there something you can suggest?

Thank you in advance,
Anna
Subject Author Posted

BLOCK function

acz June 28, 2021 12:03PM

Re: BLOCK function

RWCox June 29, 2021 10:34AM